Help Wanted: Cradle Rockers
Okay, here's what I really came to post on. Anyone who has talked to us recently knows that we have had this preoccupation (annoying at times I'm sure) with the demographic plight of the industrialized world, namely Europe, eastern Europe, Russia, and of course, the U.S.A.
In our defense, Germany started it! When we moved to Germany, we obviously wanted to know, where does this country stand morally? What are its values? What makes it tick? What are the threats it faces?
[Really, Karl and I just live to discuss cultural, moral issues. We thrive off of it, I'm convinced. Individually, one could not call either of us incredibly efficient. Together though, we become frustratingly inefficient (to everyone else that is). For Myers-Briggs fans, think "two ENFPs get married". Are we the only ones who can be discussing the immorality of work-a-holism at 5 am while we're supposed to getting out the door so I can catch a plane? Us, we're happier than pigs in mud. The term "oh well" is one we use quite frequently when pesky logistical or administrative life details pop up....and on we go with our discussion.]
The primary threat that Western society is facing in the forseeable future is that the population is DYING OUT! It doesn't get any more basic than that. Now, I'm not going to blog my own thoughts about this. This is a topic that is the buzz in all political camps in Europe. Its a big problem for the societal systems in place. (Even without cradle-to-grave welfare, it would be a big problem.) Other people have written much more eloquently and clearly than I ever could about this.
Its interesting too when one broadens the topic into what secular cultures promote in regard to the value of children and future generations. As always, we Christians ought to be examining our own thinking to see how the world's lies have crept into our own assumptions and attitudes. Do we live near-sighted, or do we live with a far-reaching trans-generational vision? I think we are seeing the results of living near-sighted - death - the buck stops as soon as you die. A societal epidemic of selfishness wreaks havoc on peoples and nations. (I'm not even going to go into Germany's Minister of Family's proposed solution to the anemic birthrate....)
Well, here's just a little of what we've been reading. Hope you enjoy these analyses. Be sure to read the last one especially.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home