You are What You Eat
Though I haven't been blogging, I've been learning a good bit in the last few months. Personally, I've embarked on a study of nutrition. Dry as that might sound, I've encountered a variety of opinions regarding the value of natural remedies, organic foods, natural and mainstream personal care products, and modern medical practices. So, needless to say, it is a challenge to sort through all information and evaluate it as best as possible. The hard thing is that it seems that both "sides" (Naturopathy vs. Mainstream Medicine...and all the various strains in between) are equally qualified about the topics at hand and, to a novice like me, both strains of thought seem equally reasonable. Arghh.
Now, honestly, I've been disappointed with the direction that modern, mainstream medical practice has been going. It is perhaps safe to say (by mere observation) that Christian ethics govern this realm less and less and, hey, even many Christians aren't sure what "Christian ethics" are anymore. (embryonic stem cell research, aborted fetal use in vaccine development, abortifacient birth control, abortion, euthanasia, in-vitro etc.)
[Note: I watched the movie, The Island, on the transatlantic flight on the way over to the States and was absolutely astounded at the blatant message it sent about medical ethics. From what I saw of it (and I was a bit distracted), I recommend this movie highly.]
Physicians these days have a lot on their heads, that's for sure. They must walk a fine line as they deal with human ailments and human life, being careful to use their skills and knowledge within the bounds set by God Himself. This even gets back to my personal responsibility for choosing my physician. I was recently flabbergasted to hear a rumor that the doctor that delivered Gregory is also responsible for many abortions. Now that I think about it, why should I be surprised? He was also an OB/GYN professor (has students under him). It even bothers me now that that practice prescribed and installed abortifacient BC methods (Pill, shot, and IUD). But I failed to ask the questions. Its so much easier just to go along with the norm, instead of rocking the boat everytime.
Thus, my natural (no pun intended) leanings are more toward Naturopathy. While Christian ethics certainly apply here, it seems the dilemmas do not present themselves as readily. Also, I tend to agree with the premise that our bodies are indeed fearfully and wonderfully made and have the capabilities to heal themselves given the right nourishment and stimuli. It also seems reasonable to work within the systems and design that God has in place.
In doing whatever research on this topic that I have time for, I am becoming aware of how generally ignorant I have been about nutrition. It also has struck me that I am responsible, to a certain degree, for the health and well-being of my husband and children, as the primary manager of the food that comes into our home and is consumed, not to mention toiletries and cleaners etc. I've been thinking lately that every young women, as part of her high school/homeschool curriculum should have "Nutrition" covered. What an asset that would be going into a marriage already having a working knowledge.
Some changes I have implemented in our home since beginning my research:
1) Fish oil supplements (Cod Liver oil and Salmon oil) for Omega-3 essential fatty acids.
2) More fresh vegetables (and liquid-vitamins since Ethan won't eat the veggies yet.)
3) Homemade granola cereal, so to avoid preservatives, sugar, and generally unhealthful, mass-marketed store-bought cereals. I make it with flax seed too, for more Omega 3 EFAs.
I readily admit that I have much to learn and discern on this topic. I want to learn what is the appropriate balance to strike, so that I am not "freaking out" and wasting a bunch of money and worshiping the idol of "health" or so that I am not neglecting a responsibility to my family to be consciencious with regard to their health. I also want to know how much trust I really ought to have in the FDA, USDA, the mainstream food industry, and even purported "organic" food producers and proponents. I'm not into conspiracy theories, yet I don't want to give too much credit where it is not due. In relation to the big business of the food industry, capitalism, like anything else, has its ugly side by using anything and everything to get a buck. With regard to the governmental and industrial regulatory agencies, socialism has its ugly side and allows for corruption within and conflict of interests when ties with particular corporations are made.
So, until my next post, bon appetite!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home